Summer learning sessions are designed to offer an opportunity for clergy to connect, experience new learning, and brainstorm ways to apply that learning to their congregation and community.
ALL clergy should plan to participate in a Summer Learning session.
This summer, District Superintendent Sarah Calvert asks each clergyperson to read one book from our Summer Book List.
We will host Summer Book Weeks July 24-27 & August 14-17. This summer we have 12 books on the list and 13 scheduled ‘book club’ conversations. Some are in person, some are via Zoom, some are over lunch, and one will be facilitated in Korean.
All clergy are expected to read a book from the Summer Book List and participate in a discussion.
If you happen to be on vacation during BOTH of the Book Club Weeks you need to contact Sarah Allen (NoVaAdmin@vaumc.org).
Summer Book List
- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society by Eugene Peterson
- An Effective Approach to Cooperative Parishes: A Congregational Guide to Discernment and Implementation by Kay L Kotan & Jason C Stanley
- Do I Stay Christian?: A Guide for the Doubters, the Disappointed, and the Disillusioned by Brian D. McLaren
- Humbler Faith, Bigger God: finding a story to live by by Samuel Wells
- Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t by Simon Sinek
- Let Go: Leaning into the Future Without Fear by Matt Miofsky*
- MetaChurch: How to Use Digital Ministry to Reach People and Make Disciples by Dave Adamson
- My Body Is Not a Prayer Request: Disability Justice in the Church by Amy Kenny
- Poverty by America by Matthew Desmond
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace: A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself by Nedra Glover Tawwab
- She: Five Keys to Unlock the Power of Women in Ministry by Karoline M. Lewis
- The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery by Ian Morgan Cron & Suzanne Stabile
*Matt Miofsky is our NoVA District Training Day speaker in 2024
(Book links are from Amazon, but we encourage you to check the library or your local bookseller.)
Summer Learning Sessions
Please note: there are limited seats available for the in-person sessions. Be sure to register soon, as those spots will fill up.
|Wednesday, July 26||11:30-1:30||Poverty by America||Silver Diner (Falls Church)|
|Wednesday, July 26||1:00-2:30||Do I Stay Christian?||District Office|
|Wednesday, July 26||2:00-3:30||My Body Is Not a Prayer Request||Floris UMC|
|Thursday, July 27||10:00-11:30||The Road Back to You||Zoom|
|Thursday, July 27||12:00-2:00||Humbler Faith, bigger God||Auld Shebeen (Fairfax)|
|Thursday, July 27||2:00-3:30||MetaChurch||Zoom|
|Tuesday, August 15||10:00-12:00||Long Obedience in the Same Direction||District Office|
|Tuesday, August 15||10:30-12:00||Set Boundaries, Find Peace||Zoom
|Tuesday, August 15||7:00-8:30 p.m.||Set Boundaries, Find Peace||Zoom|
|Wednesday, August 16||10:00-12:00||She||Arlington Temple (at Community UMC)|
|Wednesday, August 16||12:00-2:00||Leaders Eat Last||District Office|
|Thursday, August 17||10:00-11:30||Cooperative Parishes||Zoom|
|Thursday, August 17||12:00-1:30||Leaning into the Future Without Fear||Zoom|