The Bi-District Clergy (Alexandria and Arlington pastors) have 3 or 4 meetings each year. Clergy are expected to attend these gatherings and also to be meeting regularly in their clergy peer learning groups.
Clergy meetings, like so much else, will look a little different this year.
We will begin the year with our September and November meetings via Zoom. A registration link for the September meeting will be sent to you in August. Please put these dates on your calendar:
September 9, 2020 Clergy Meeting #1 (Online) 10:00-12 NOON
November 10, 2020 Clergy Meeting #2 (Online) 10:00-12 NOON
March 18, 2021 Clergy Meeting #3 (Format TBD)
Sept. 9 Clergy Meeting
The Adept Church: Navigating Between a Rock and a Hard Place
When: Wednesday, September 9 from 10 a.m. – NOON via Zoom.
Speaker: F. Douglas Powe, Jr.
Director of the Lewis Center for Church Leadership and James C. Logan Professor of Evangelism (E. Stanley Jones Chair)
Many congregations are struggling to move forward as vital communities during these challenging and turbulent times. Do you constantly feel like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place? Stuck between seeking to be socially active and finding ways to thrive missionally. Stuck between seeking to maintain the pre-pandemic feeling of community and the reality of dealing with a new normal.
Our time together will focus on how to navigate these dilemmas in a manner that helps your congregation take the next faithful step. You will walk away learning how adept decision making can promote greater flourishing in your context.
Clergy Peer Learning Groups might consider reading The Adept Church by F. Douglas Powe, Jr.
Registration is required for this clergy meeting. Register here.
Clergy are encouraged to be life-long learners. The District Staff compiled this list as a resource for personal reading or for study as a peer learning group.
- How to Lead When You Don’t Know Where You Are Going, Susan Beaumont
- Quietly Courageous: Leading the Church in a Changing World, Gil Rendle
- The Adept Church: Navigating Between a Rock and a Hard Place, F. Douglas Powe Jr.
Books for Racial Reconciliation
- How To Be An Anti-Racist,Ibram X. Kendi
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism, Robin DiAngelo
- Between the World and Me,Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The New Jim Crow, Michelle Alexander
- Just Mercy,Bryan Stevenson
- So You Want to Talk About Race,Ijeoma Oluo
- Stamped from the Beginning,Ibram X. Kendi
Books for Ministry in a Pandemic
- God and the Pandemic: A Christian Reflection on Corona Virus and its Aftermath,NT Wright
- Virus as a Summons to Faith, Biblical Reflections in a Time of Loss, Grief and Uncertainty, Walter Brueggeman
- Leadership for a Time of Pandemic: Practicing Resilience,Tod Bolsinger